Sunday, March 31, 2013

2013 Spring Equinox Ritual Attendance

Yesterday we celebrated the coming of spring.

I knew a few weeks in advance that we would be unable to attend the local Grove's spring ritual so I decided it was time to write my first full-length ritual following the Core Order laid out by ADF.

I chose to honor the Slavic pantheon as they are near and dear to me and my daughters.  I also decided that the purpose would be to formally ask winter (represented by the goddess Marzanna) to recede, and to request blessings upon our land from Piorun and Mokosh as we busy ourselves over the next few months planting our vegetable gardens, tending the berries and getting our first fruit trees established.  I carefully thought out which offerings would be most appropriate and did my best to craft language that was meaningful and sincere.  Since my daughters (ages 10 years and 12 years) would be participating, I purposefully kept the words fairly simple and the overall ritual brief.

The full text of the ritual can be found here.

We had absolutely gorgeous weather for the ritual.  Both girls did a wonderful job of following along and participating.  We each took turns pulling a card for the omens, using the Wildwood Tarot deck.

From the Ancestors:  Ten of Stones * Home
Excerpt of interpretation: "The inner and outer community that sustains and supports the individual, not necessarily blood family but the trusted friends, comrades and lovers who offer security and affections."

As far as we are aware our family has no direct blood ties to Slavic peoples, but I have been personally drawn to those cultures for the past 20 years, and at least one of my daughters also feels a strong connection with the Slavic pantheon.  I saw this omen as an affirmation of our connection with the Slavic ancestors even if the ties are not of blood but instead the heart.

From the Nature Spirits:  7 * The Archer
Excerpt of interpretation:  "The dawn of new adventure, folded in the web of universal potential, waits for you to string the bow of your imagination and loose the arrows of creativity."

We have many plans for our land; plans for fruit trees, honey bees, outside shrines, bat houses...the list goes on.  In this omen I hear an echo of support from the Spirits of the land.

From the Shining Ones:  Kings of Vessels * Heron
Excerpt of interpretation:  "A deep belief in fairness, honesty and honour colours everything you do...However, your admiration of self-control can sometimes make you appear to rigid."

I see this omen as an affirmation from the Gods and Goddess that our worship is acknowledged as sincere and right.  But I also see a message that supports less structured forms of worship besides the ADF core order.  This is very touching because in our busy household I often feel fortunate if I am able to get my quick morning devotional done before rushing off to work and/or other family obligations.  I think this message was also important for my girls to hear since it encourages and affirms the more spontaneous and brief prayers that they are apt to perform.


No comments:

Post a Comment